Beach City Introduction
Hello Friend and thank you for checking out Beach City, our beautiful beach-side sanctuary on the internet. Beach City citizens are various flavors of trans, queer, non-binary, polyamorous, disabled, furry, etc. and all know at least a few of their neighbors really well!
We're a weird and mixed group of people here, but we're all well known to someone else on the instance. If you wanna join us, send someone on here a message and ask. If you're a well-known friend of theirs, they might just help you get a link!
Beach City Logo by @email@example.com
Beach City Mascot "Fuschia Agate" by @firstname.lastname@example.org
Beach City Color Theme by @email@example.com
Beach City Sourcecode on Github
Help us pay for our infrastructure and staff on Patreon
Not affiliated with Steven Universe nor Cartoon Network in any way. We just love them and are lightly theming our instance in a related way. If they ever complain about us, we'll probably switch to theming ourselves with 80s/vaporwave stylings.
Code of Conduct
Everyone here should more or less know the admins or a friend of the admins, so I expect everyone to be cool about stuff.. But just to be clear, here's what we expect:
This is an 18+ server. Do not join or request access if you are not 18 years of age. We will remove accounts that are not 18+ accordingly.
- Treat others with respect, and be respectful in kind. Know where the boundaries are for those you interact with. If you accidentally cross them, retreat and apologize.
- Discourse can be important and interesting, but please CW it so folks who want a break from it can more easily take one.
- Harassment is not tolerated. Harassment campaigns may not be spread here; this includes doxxing and dogpiling. If you must call someone out, do it elsewhere and link it here.
- The Mastodon software has no quote feature for a reason: on other social networks it's often used just to show off how horrible someone else is (boosting their bigoted words into your timeline for others to reject), or to draw followers into an argument that should be one-on-one. Attempts to circumvent this through screencaps are prohibited.
- Sexism, racism, ableism, homophobia, transphobia, xenophobia, and other forms of systemic abuse are not tolerated.
- When it comes to defining what constitutes "systemic abuse", the opinions of the marginalized are given priority at all times.
- This also applies to microaggressions (like intentional misgendering), "ironic" use of racist language, and other dogwhistles.
- While it is fantastic to criticize patriarchy and kyriarchy, unfocused misandry is not acceptable on this instance and will be silenced when observed in remote instances. This is due to its impact on non-binary, genderqueer, trans, disabled, PoC, queer, and otherwise marginalized men, several of whom are on our instance.
- Holocaust denial or support for the National Socialist party will result in an immediate ban.
- Sexually explicit images are allowed (encouraged, even!), but they must be behind content warnings and properly tagged. The same goes for discussions of sex.
- All sexually explicit images must exclusively involve consent-capable adults. ("Consent-capable": If asked whether they'd like to pose for an adult photo, they would be capable of responding "yes", and that "yes" would be able to stand up in court of law.)
- All other potentially upsetting content must be properly tagged: this includes discussions of politics, violence, rape, and bigotry. (No faces of famous politicians, please.)
- Bad-faith interpretations of any of the above rules will not be tolerated.
These provisions notwithstanding, the administration of the service reserves the right to revoke any user's access permissions, at any time, for any reason, except as limited by law.
Content Warnings, abbreviated CWs, are a really important part of our local Mastodon Universe. When you are composing your toots, click the CW button to hide the main body of your toot behind a line of text text that appears.
Content Warnings are important for any kind of content that someone might not want to read about. By using CWs, individuals can opt into content they might be disturbed by, if they are in a place to consume it. If they are not in such a place, they can choose not to look at it. This allows folks to regulate their consumption of certain kinds of content themselves, without having to make blanket blocks of certain muted keywords
Any content that touches on the following topics should be CWed to be polite to our neighbors here and out in the fediverse
- Sex and nudity
- Politics, politicians, or current "hot button" political topics
- Drugs, drug use
- Racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, ableism, etc.
- Personal health, medical issues, hospitals
- Depression, anxiety, mental health issues, suicidal thoughts
- Overly negative, angry, or upset content
- Food, weight loss, weight gain
- Death, funerals
- Violence of any kind
- Links to Facebook or Twitter
- Movie and TV show spoilers
- Selfies, eye contact
There's a lot of reasons why some of these things are generally CWed. It doesn't mean a topic is bad. It just means someone has asked to be able to easily avoid such topics. If you have any questions about any of these, just ask one of the local mods!
In addition to the site's owner, @pandora_parrot, Beach.city's moderation staff include:
Our source code
We have made some minor alterations to the main mastodon code base. You can see the changes we've made over on our GitHub repo. If you want to make your own changes, feel free to send us a PR and we'll consider adding it to our version of the main code base!
Our promise to you
We promise to do everything we can to avoid negatively impacting your social media experience. We will immediately block every single example of overt and explicit racism, homophobia, transphobia, etc. We will be judicious about other forms of behavior we find unpleasant. We'll allow you to manage that yourselves, using your own personal block lists and mute lists. If you see a problem you think we need to act on as a server, report the user or toot that is a problem and we will act on it rapidly. We'll bias towards safety and act fast, but always be willing to step back from any mistakes we discover.